Clients turn to Marney Cheek to handle high-stakes international disputes and to address international trade and investment barriers around the globe. Marney provides strategic advice to corporate, non-profit, and government clients on matters involving public international law, investment, and international trade and has successfully advocated for clients before numerous international tribunals and U.S. courts.
Marney co-chairs Covington’s International Arbitration Practice Group and is a partner in the International Trade Practice Group.
In addition to leading investment treaty and complex international commercial cases under the rules of major arbitral institutions such as ICSID, AAA/ICDR, and UNCITRAL, Marney has appeared before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea and the International Court of Justice. She currently represents Ukraine in a landmark case before the ICJ against the Russian Federation in matters related to eastern Ukraine and Crimea.
In the field of international trade, Marney routinely:
- develops trade strategies related to global supply chains, intellectual property rights, digital trade, standards, trade preferences, and climate change;
- advises on negotiation and implementation of trade agreements as well as bilateral and plurilateral trade arrangements;
- works with clients to navigate complex market access issues in China and other foreign markets;
- evaluates compliance and enforcement matters under multilateral and bilateral trade agreements and investment treaties; and
- assists clients with intellectual property matters under the WTO TRIPS Agreement and other trade agreements.
Marney also draws upon her experience as Associate General Counsel at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, where she worked on numerous free trade agreement negotiations and bilateral disputes.